1998 Yugo Koral 1.1 EFI from Poland
I'm in love with my car!
My Yugo is a Polish edition, built in Poland from Yugoslavian and Polish components, in the second half of the 90s. That time was dark for both the Yugoslavian and Polish car industries. The components were cheap quality, and after buying a new YUGO back then, the first thing you had to do was visit a private mechanic to fix everything the factory overlooked and the official service didn't know how to repair.
A lot of things had to be repaired when I bought it. Previous owner didn't treat it right. Too many of them to write about... Just few examples of things that I had to repair: clutch, ignition cables, radio, suspension, leaking fuel tank, leaking cooling fluid container, broken lights, and few other things I don't know how to name in English... :-) But...
... somehow I fell in love with it! And now I'm a total Yugo-lover! (dreaming about having one of each kind: 45, 65, GV, GVX, Cabrio, Florida, etc.)
It's maybe because I'm half Serbian, suffering "jugonostalgia" ;-), and driving a Yugo is like a patriotic gesture ;-).
Thanks God I found a mechanic that has a long experience with YUGOs.
There are not many YUGOs still driving around Poland these days (only few old guys, and enthusiasts like me). Parts are hard to get, so we help each other and order the parts from Serbia or Croatia.
To all the people that say YUGO is a crap car... You are probably right, if you compare YUGO to some other cars, but if you have one of them then:
- Every trip becomes an adventure.
- People congratulate you while waiting for the lights to turn green.
- You have a low cost old timer.
- You have an old timer that is a pop-culture legend (Hollywood career, sculptures made out of it, songs sang about it, books written about it, etc.)
- Girls like you ;-)
- Police officers applaud and salute when they see you on the Croatian-Hungarian border (it really happened to me!)
- You can attend vintage car rallys even tthough your car is produced after 1989.
- And many, many more...
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 16th January, 2016